1. Education

Girls Do Better Than Boys?

By January 5, 2007

The Truth About Boys and Girls is a report from Education Sector which documents some alarming trends in educating boys. It seems as though some data suggests that girls are doing better than boys in several academic subjects. Interesting turn of events, eh? Is it true? I am afraid that you really have to read the entire report to find the answer. Short form: it depends!

One fact is certain: experts tell us that boys learn differently from girls. That's one reason why you may wish to consider a single sex school for your child. Read Why Attend a Single Sex Private School? for my take on this subject.

Comments

January 9, 2007 at 10:55 am
(1) Elizabeth says:

I go to a private school where our curriculum is advanced anyway but girls do better than boys when it comes to certain subjects. When I was researching a topic, boys do better at science and history as girls do better in math and literature. But in contrast girls are most likely to not only have better grades than boys but also speak up more in class about their opinion and turn in homework on time. I am in Middle School.

September 19, 2008 at 9:56 pm
(2) Jacob says:

Ok, I am a boy. I really get tired of all this ‘Girls Rule, Boys Drool’ stuff. It really makes me mad. I think it’s pretty harsh when girls think the entire female gender is better than the entire male gender. I, for one, see them as equal, being better at certain things than the other sometimes. This doesn’t mean that ‘girls are better at math and literature than boys are’, because sometimes, that isn’t true. None of you can make a broad generalization that all boys are less superior than you are. I’m not saying this because I think boys are better; I’m saying this because I think everyone’s equal.

October 4, 2008 at 9:00 am
(3) sonya says:

One cannot say girls are better than boys or boys are better than girls for we are all equal however there are factors which affect our learning abilities i.e. going to school at an earlier age or revising more.In addition we cannot measure whether someone is better than someone else as we are all equally good at things which others are not as good at therefore we have no ways of saying with proof that one person is better than another.

November 11, 2008 at 2:33 pm
(4) Alistair says:

Girls aren’t better than boys. Boys aren’t better than girls. We may each have genetic predispositions towards certain traits, which may be explainable through Evolutionary Theory. But the changes in performace we see today in educationa are largely related to the Women’s Movement which resulted in changes in the curriculum, more positive female role models (hard working, career driven) and a reversal of potential based stereotyping. Now girls are seen as hard working, organised and more likely to succeed in early education; boys are seen as lazy, disobedient and less likely to succeed. These stereotypes are internalised by the schoolchildren and teachers (everyone in fact), resulting in self-perpetuating beliefs and related performance. Education now is largely seen as a ‘girly’ thing by many adolescent boys, who have adopted an attitude that learning will damage their masculinty, so they generally focus on activities that are either gender equal or male dominated. To say that one is better than the other is essentially wrong, it’s a cultural phenomenom, an aftershock of the Women’s Movement.

November 18, 2008 at 5:20 am
(5) N.B.G tanz says:

Alistair says:

Girls arenít better than boys. Boys arenít better than girls. We may each have genetic predispositions towards certain traits, which may be explainable through Evolutionary Theory. But the changes in performace we see today in educationa are largely related to the Womenís Movement which resulted in changes in the curriculum, more positive female role models (hard working, career driven) and a reversal of potential based stereotyping. Now girls are seen as hard working, organised and more likely to succeed in early education; boys are seen as lazy, disobedient and less likely to succeed. These stereotypes are internalised by the schoolchildren and teachers (everyone in fact), resulting in self-perpetuating beliefs and related performance. Education now is largely seen as a Ďgirlyí thing by many adolescent boys, who have adopted an attitude that learning will damage their masculinty, so they generally focus on activities that are either gender equal or male dominated. To say that one is better than the other is essentially wrong, itís a cultural phenomenom, an aftershock of the Womenís Movement.

December 19, 2008 at 9:51 pm
(6) not tellin says:

its the parents not the gender kids, remember that. the whole girls learn better and are better multitasking is b.s. im sorry girls but what ever people researched this is wrong, my parents where hard on me and i made better grades than most girls…. so ladies, im sorry but boys are better ;D

March 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm
(7) jordan says:

okay this boys VS. girls thing is stupid.

the truth is:
Girls mature faster then guys but males tend to be stronger taller bigger and more or less better phsicly

BUT…

girls tend to do better then girls in school But only in some classes like english and math. boys are basicly superiore. and i’m not sayign that girls have no right and i’m not saying that the whole populatin is like this it basicly revolves around how you are brought up. if your parents let you off the hook with lots of stuff your grades are lower the strictor then are the better grades

April 11, 2009 at 7:08 am
(8) Amber says:

The truth is that girls is really better than boys.In the newspapers,lots of reporter had said that women are out doing the men in society.So it’s truth that girls are really better than boys.

April 21, 2009 at 6:28 am
(9) david says:

Jordan:

You are an example of why some girls would like to think themselves superior. Your argument is a sad waste of the English language.
First of all, girls parents aren’t any better then that of boys and therefore your point is invalid. Secondly, your text shows almost no sign of proper grammar. This would have been excusable as your simply being lazy if it were not for the fact that you cannot spell either.

Amber:

I am sincerely loathe to say that your miserable narrative was not an improvement. While it is true that you have successfully spelled all the words you were meaning to type, what you have put said words into are most assuredly not proper sentences, and when said aloud what you have typed sounds like it came from the mind of a toddler.
Furthermore, your point would be moot even if it were not for the likely fact that most if not all of these reporters are themselves feminists who are focusing on successful women, more so then successful men who are in more than sufficient supply to turn your pathetic argument back on itself, if we were so inclined.

However, while some may tempted so do so be I am not and am a firm believer that the two genders are on equal standing.

In conclusion, you both are terrible at whatever it is you are attempting to achieve, and I hope you stay away from comment boxes in the future.

Have a nice day.

June 5, 2009 at 7:42 am
(10) no name says:

i think that girls are better than the boys

June 18, 2009 at 12:59 am
(11) John Travolta says:

From what I have seen, most boys are more proficient in hand work, along with political decisions and often take more risks than girls, which either lead to great success (e.x. Bill Gates) or great failure (e.g. That hobo across the street). Girls therefore, are more…ah…conservative, and less likely to take risks (Risky investments v. Small but save investments). Most boys therefore would, will or are doing better in politics or making important decisions, needed to be made rather quickly. Girls are better in school and as CEO’s or in other management positions.

June 28, 2009 at 3:59 pm
(12) Gabe Hammock says:

Why is this even an issue? If any girls think they better than guys let them. I don’t care if every one of them did. Best thing; leave them alone. Don’t try to change how stupid they are, it will only make them believe they are more right.

August 1, 2009 at 7:42 pm
(13) Clem says:

i agree with Jacob
we are all equal

August 24, 2009 at 8:02 am
(14) tim says:

Donít get me wrong I love women but because of males genetic makeup boys really do have an advantage over women. As men are normally taller and stronger men do have an advantage, in sports at least. When you look back even to prehistoric times men were the ones who used to do the hunting, men were the ones who went to war. Unfortunately ladies men are more capable when it comes to sport.
Academically girls probably have the advantage; I think it just depends on how much work and study you do, and not weather you have male or female genitals.
It really depends on the parents of the child which raise teach their child (sometimes unaware) their views on this topic. If a child is brought up in a more traditional style family (which are becoming increasingly inexistent) where the female does all the housework and dad produces the income the child is going to fit into society believing this. Say a mother spoils her son rotten and lets him get away with anything the boy isnít going to grow up respecting women.
Girls, Iím sorry but build a bridge and get over it, there is nothing you can do, unfortunately itís just the way it is :(

November 16, 2009 at 12:38 pm
(15) Lisa says:

Girls do better than boys because they are educated mostly by female teachers who understand how to relate to females and do not understand the differences in educating males.

November 19, 2009 at 2:50 pm
(16) Mike says:

I have to say I love the fact that most of the boys are saying that everyone is equal but good at different things.

January 20, 2010 at 12:05 am
(17) kyler says:

I am a boy of age 15. My “modus operandi” is language arts. I exceed standards set for students. I look foward to persuing in a lucrative career as an IT specialist. In fact, I am already employed in the computer field. I whole heartidly stress my opinion. The educational system is sexist and this becomes more and more disgustingly evident as time goes. I was denied a position in the honors class due to tardies. These tardies are not my fault. I have horrible nose bleeds in the summer. Needless to say, it affected my puncuality. A girl with the same circumstances was given a seat in that class and I am stuck in the slumps. Every day I feel insugnifigant and stupid because i must feel in an english class that underestimates my abilities. It is a daily insult to my intelligence and it is pathetic.

February 28, 2010 at 12:21 pm
(18) Chantelle says:

At My School The Boys Grades Are Higher In Things Like Mechanics And Woodwork Where As Girls Is Higher In English And most areas of maths. this doesnt mean that girls are better in those particular subject and vice versa, the boys take mechanincs and woodwork seriously and the girls take english and maths seriously. when it comes to science however its pretty equal; boys excel in parts and so do girls.
So basically its equal if you think about it rightly.
also i dont get why people say girls do better in exams, i’ve started my GCSE’s and so far it seems like i’m getting higher grades in coursework rather than exams and i know lots of girls exactly the same. the boys however are doing well in their exams and quite bad in their coursework. i guess it depends on the type of person you are as to what you achieve better in. Lets face it, if you have a boy in set one and a girl in set one for maths say and the girl gets higher grades in the exam does that give her a higher chance of passing her Exams than the boy? NO! it just means she did good in that one exam, the boy could go on to get all A* while she gets maybe an A+ or standered A.
Just Something For You To Think About x
(Yes I Am A Girl Trying To Defend Both Sides Of The Argument)